Saturday, May 28, 2005

A new ally in the toad battle

Today I met a new friend. Her name is Myrtle and she is some kind of roundish creature with a really hard outer part that I was unable to chew on or penetrate with my Estrela claws. She was heading towards the pond, and she says she heard about the hatching and came to investigate because she hates toads. Any enemy of toads is a friend of mine.

I got some pictures and I'll post them as soon as my computer is hooked up again.

Oh, and it is junebug season. I hate those things!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Watch out because the toads have allies too. And we are a scary lot.

Signed,
The Leeches

"Although scientists have found many medicinal applications and uses for leeches, they can be a nuisance. In 1799, soldiers serving under Napoleon marched from Egypt across the Sinai Peninsula to Syria. They drank water from any source they could find, including waters contaminated by leeches. As a result many problems occurred when the leeches attached to the insides of the soldiers noses, mouths, and throats. Once attached, the leeches began to gorge on blood and enlarge. Many of the soldiers died from suffocation due to the enlarged leeches in the air passages. In addition, other soldiers died from excessive blood loss."

from http://www.accessexcellence.org/LC/SS/leechlove.html