Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Last weekend's trip report

Last weekend we made a little trip. At first I thought it would be a dog show where I could strut my stuff, but as it turned out, it was not. But it would take us a while to get there...

As usual, they made me stay in my pen in the van, but since they had the air conditioning on, I chose not to complain. The trip was relatively uneventful until shortly after the humans had stopped for lunch (not even bothering to offer me any), at which time we seemed to be passing the same landmarks over and over again. Well, without even knowing where we were supposed to be going, I knew we were not going to get there at that rate. If they had just told me where we were going I could have told them how to get there, but noooo.... they were stubborn. Then their cell phone rang, we made a sudden U-turn, and within minutes we were at our destination.

Our destination was the home of a human they called Millie. I knew when I got out that I would like this place, because it was built on the side of a rather steep hill, which I think if I had ever been to the Estrela mountains in Portugal, would remind me of them, and in fact I was so comfortable there, I pooped in the back yard. There were also four dogs there. Most prominent among them was Asti, who had written me a letter for my "Ask Bart" column.

I made myself at home while the humans talked. This seemed to go on forever! But then the one they call Millie started acting like my favorite human does at dog shows, wanting me to stand and stuff. I humored her because I like her. I think if she let me take her into the ring, I would be really good for her.

Before I knew it, the other dogs were eating, but I didn't get to eat. I will have to think of some way for my humans to pay for that. Right now I am thinking big holes in the yard.

Eventually the humans put me in a pen. I knew that could not be good, and sure enough, they left for a really long time. I barked a lot just in case they were just right outside the front door, but they did not come let me out. So eventually I got tired of that.

After what seemed like forever, they returned and let me out. It seemed like we were getting ready to go home, which I didn't want to do, so I got some attention from Millie in hopes she would keep me there with her. I even laid on her feet, but alas, it didn't work and I got put back in the pen in the back of the van.

The ride home seemed to be just as much of a roundabout path as the ride there. In fact it seemed like we were going around in circles. But eventually we got straightened out.

It was good to be home, but I really liked Millie and her whole family. I hope to be able to see them again real soon! I learned a lot from Asti. He was pretty laid-back. He says his wilder days are behind him. But boy, did he have stories to tell! (I can't repeat them)

No comments: